Benchmark Space Systems, a leader in small satellite propulsion systems and in-space mobility services, has an immediate opening for a Business Development Manager that will lead inside sales, support proposal development, perform customer prospecting for the external sales team, and lead select sales pursuits. Applicants should have the ability to find opportunities where they are not clearly defined, experience in internal process improvement, excellent communication skills and be able to support conferences/tradeshows. This is a high-impact, customer-facing role that will contribute significantly to the growth of Benchmark, the success of our customers’ and partners’ missions, and the development of the new space economy.
As part of the Business Development team at Benchmark, this role will work closely with the leadership, engineering, and product development teams to build Benchmark’s business that serves commercial and government end-users. This is a role for an individual with strong business acumen and a proven track record developing new relationships and supporting proposal development, supporting identification and capture of new and follow-on opportunities. This is an exciting time in the development of the new space economy and a great time to join Benchmark in a pivot role as the company continues to grow and deliver industry leading in-space mobility products and services.
For qualified applicants, this role can be based out of either Burlington, VT or Pleasanton, CA. Other remote locations may also be considered if they are advantageous to developing customer and industry relationships.
- Lead prospecting and qualification of new opportunities in an emerging market, contributing to a multi-year pipeline and achieving annual market capture targets.
- Support and lead proposal development, working with a cross-functional pursuit team.
- Develop customer solutions and value propositions based on customer and stakeholder inputs.
- Work with marketing, product, and sales teams to develop and maintain product and service sales collateral, and maintain a directory of approved materials.
- Organize and conduct customer development activities such as customer meetings, facility tours and product demonstrations.
- Develop market intelligence and competitive data pertaining to potential opportunities and develop responsive product and marketing strategies.
- Manage and maintain Standard Operating Procedures and documentation for best practices across business development activities.
- Manage and maintain (hubspot) CRM data across multiple market segments.
- Manage and maintain internal sales tools and dashboards.
- At all times, maintain Benchmark’s outstanding reputation for operating at the highest levels of honesty, integrity, accountability, and transparency.
- Possess a passion for supporting emerging high-tech markets (space) with both commercial and government applications.
- Possess a strong understanding of business to business sales processes, best practices, CRM/pipeline management, and technical proposal writing.
- 3-7 years of experience in proposal management for new or follow-on business.,
- 3-7 years of experience in sales and relationship management in space, aerospace, or technical field.
- Ability to discuss technical systems and practical applications to variety of audiences.
- Bachelor’s degree (engineering degree and/or demonstrated technical aptitude).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability, agility, and can-do attitude to work in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, and matrixed cross-functional environment.
- Willingness and ability to travel 15% with the potential to surge to greater travel at times.
- This position requires US citizenship status.