Benchmark Space Systems, a leader in small satellite propulsion systems and in-space mobility services, has an immediate opening for a Product Engineer working within our business development organization to help define, develop, and deliver best-in-class in-space mobility solutions to our customers’ current and emerging needs. Applicants should have experience working in aerospace on technical solutions for new business opportunities and the ability to think creatively across a broad range of technical disciplines. This is a high-impact role combining customer-facing engagement with technical solution development and will contribute significantly to the growth of Benchmark, the success of our customers’ and partners’ missions, and the development of the new space economy.
As part of the Business Development and Strategy team at Benchmark, this role will work closely with the business development, engineering, and product development teams to understand market demand and customer applications. In this position, you will configure optimized propulsion solutions for customer missions and key pursuits, contribute to commercial and government proposals, develop collateral and tools to support pre-sales activity, and help shape product roadmaps. This is a role for an individual with strong technical and problem-solving skills combined with strong communication skills and business acumen to help develop valuable solutions to customers’ needs. This is an exciting time in the development of the new space economy and a great time to join Benchmark in a pivotal role as the company continues to grow and deliver best-in-class satellite mobility products and services.
This role is based out of our Burlington, VT location, remote position considered for exceptional candidates.
- Understand the role in-space mobility solutions can play in addressing emerging space operations and policies that promote the responsible and sustainable expansion of the space economy.
- Work in partnership with Business Development, customers, and partners to understand and shape technical requirements and optimize solution configurations of in-space propulsion systems and in-space mobility services.
- Interpret and clarify technical elements of customer drawings, plans, and statements of work.
- Act as the lead technical voice in the development of win strategies for new business opportunities.
- Lead the technical writing and creation of proposal materials and collateral (tables, charts, CAD drawings, graphics, etc.) for opportunity pursuits and product marketing.
- Develop relationships with customers’ technical teams to identify and unlock new and follow-on business.
- Solicit and coordinate inputs from R&D, Engineering, Manufacturing, and other technical subject matter experts, as needed for business development activities.
- Lead the technical assessments of competitive products and services.
- Provide technical voice-of-the-customer feedback to Benchmark's engineering and technology teams as part of planning and strategy sessions.
- Support and participate in marketing programs, conferences, and events.
- At all times, maintain Benchmark’s outstanding reputation for operating at the highest levels of honesty, integrity, accountability, and transparency.
- Possess a strong understanding of and interest in the emerging new space economy and the technical solutions being developed for it.
- 5-10 years of experience in aerospace engineering working with next generation technologies and pioneering emerging market(s).
- Experience with customer/cross-functional facing roles requiring strong verbal and written communications skills and an aptitude for listening for and understanding customer needs.
- CAD software design (Solidworks or similar) to develop and modify concept drawings for proposed systems.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Mechanical, Electrical, or Aerospace Engineering or related field.
- Ability, agility, and can-do attitude to work in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, and matrixed cross-functional environment.
- Willingness and ability to travel 10% with the potential to surge to greater travel at times.
- This position requires US citizenship status.
- Security clearance not required.
- Health insurance (100% coverage for individuals, 80% for families)
- Vision & Dental Insurance (80% coverage for individuals, 80% for families)
- 401(k) with employer match
- Flexible schedule and opportunity for hybrid work
- Unlimited vacation
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
While performing duties of this job, the employee is predominately functioning in a sedentary light office position with high frequency of telephone communication, keyboarding, and computer.