Job Purpose and Primary Objectives:
Benchmark is looking for a Test Group Lead who will have primarily responsible for the tasking, resource planning, and overall management of the test group which is made up of engineers and technicians across multiple disciplines.
In this role you would call upon your engineering and management experience to set the team’s direction and ensure alignment with strategic and programmatic objectives and milestones. The right candidate will have demonstrated experience completing or overseeing complex test operations in a low-volume, high-speed environment (<1 year from kickoff to flight). This position would also work closely with our customers so must be comfortable presenting technical information to Benchmark leadership and external customers.
The test group works closely with mechanical design, electrical design, software, quality, systems engineering, and program management throughout the full product life cycle. This job posting is for our Burlington, VT location, however we may consider remote work for highly qualified candidates that are willing to travel ~25% time.
Benchmark Space Systems is a leader in small satellite propulsion systems and in-space mobility services. We are focused on providing the most cost-effective propulsion solution for our clients/partner’s Small Satellite mission needs, from simple orbit adjustments to high-agility maneuvers. Our patented and proprietary innovations have been specifically designed to improve safety and capability for spacecraft ranging from 3U through ESPA class. Specifically, our mission is to improve our client’s/partner’s missions through collaborative partnership and creative in-space mobility product solutions that are responsive to the safety, reliability, and cost-of-performance requirements of fundamental or advanced SmallSat and Rideshare missions.
Measurements of Success/Primary Job Responsibilities:
At its core, Benchmark is an entrepreneurial, fast paced organization. In this environment, we need all employees to solve problems, not be afraid to ask questions and be able to work with and help colleagues in different departments and positions by digging in and working on other tasks as needed/assigned depending on business needs. With that said, there are primary job responsibilities and measurements of success for this position, which are:
- Lead, recruit, coach, and successfully manage a team
- Drive test development, estimation, planning, execution, reporting, and closure
- Architecting test approaches for verification of hardware configuration items, software configuration items, integrated systems, and systems of systems, to demonstrate compliance with customer requirements and ensure delivery of quality products
- Coordinate responsible test area with regional teams
- Define, document, and enforce group policy and best practices for test plans, test procedures, test results, and test reports
- Routine interfacing with key internal and external stakeholders at all levels of the organization
- Facilitates test meetings, escalating to senior management team as needed
- Monitor issues/defects for trends and provide metrics to the senior management team
- Oversight of requirement traceability throughout all test phases
- Support GSE activities including launch site fueling of satellites
- May be required to travel up to 25% of time, potentially including international travel.
Education and/or Experience:
- BS degree in engineering or equivalent experience
- Minimum 5 years work experience as a test engineer or test engineering management with aerospace systems OR a combination of education and related working experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time, including internationally
- Ability to work on ITAR (export-restricted) technologies (US Persons and previously-authorized applicants only)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
What you bring to the position, or have the ability to swiftly learn and be successful in:
- Ability to communicate in a clear, straightforward, and professional manner
- Experience with test design, including equipment selection and implementation
- Experience with a variety of data acquisition systems and methods
What makes you stand out:
- Experience assembling and/or testing hardware for space environments.
- Experience in overseeing and processing data from environmental tests such as vibration, shock, thermal cycling and/or thermal-vacuum testing.
- Familiar with writing test documentation, such as test plans, procedures, and reports.
- Familiarity with MIL-STD testing and NASA testing standards
- Experience with test automation including coding scripted tests
- Systems engineering, test requirements generation experience
- Establishments of requirements traceability from top level source documents to test results
- Design analysis for testability
- Issue tracking, defect management, root cause analysis
- Unit level testing – software, hardware
- Systems Integration
- Design Verification
- Accelerated Life Stress Screening Methods / Practical Implementation
- Health insurance (100% coverage for individuals, 80% for families)
- Vision & Dental Insurance (80% coverage for individuals, 80% for families)
- 401(k) with employer match
- Flexible schedule and opportunity for hybrid work
- Unlimited vacation
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to access and navigate all areas of the design and testing facilities
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds at a time