Avionics Design Engineer
Benchmark Space Systems, a leader in small satellite propulsion systems and in-space mobility services, is seeking an avionics design engineer to help us define the new space ecosystem. Applicants should be comfortable working on a small team supporting multiple fast-paced projects. As part of the Engineering Department, this candidate would work closely with program management, mechanical, electrical, software and systems engineers throughout the full product life cycle to deliver customized propellent tanks. This job posting is for our Burlington, VT or Pleasanton, CA facilities, however we may consider remote work for highly qualified candidates that are willing to travel ~20% time.
This role requires an individual with a solid understanding of Electrical Engineering fundamentals and a willingness to take on challenges outside of their area of expertise. The Avionics team owns both the design of new systems as well as the tool-flow to realize it. Successful applicants will have experience with lab instruments such as power supplies, oscilloscopes, and logic analyzers, as well as experience with scripting languages such as Python and familiarity with version control systems such as Git.
- Schematic capture of digital circuitry including FPGAs, SoCs, Memory, Interfaces, etc.
- Develop analog and digital designs for flight systems that interact with sensors, heaters, valves, thermocouples, etc.
- Execute on analysis, schematic capture, board layout, manufacture, and test/verification on prototype and flight electronics.
- Work under the direction of the Avionics Team Lead, Program Management, and the Technology Department to develop a suite of modular avionics for use on active commercial contracts.
- Work closely with procurement and production to ensure successful build of your designs.
- Support internal and external design reviews.
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or other relevant STEM fields.
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience developing flight electronics in the aerospace industry.
- Hands-on experience with analog and digital circuit design and test.
- Experience with KiCAD, Altium, or similar.
- Proficient with lab test equipment such as oscilloscopes and power supplies.
- Comfortable with quickly producing a minimum viable product while maintaining quality.
- Capable of solving complex problems with little to no supervision.
- 3-7 years of experience designing electronics for small satellites.
- Experience executing on short-turn timelines (i.e. less than 9-month delivery schedules).
- Basic knowledge of satellite subsystems and operations.
- Familiarity with fluid system components such as valves and pressure transducers.
- PCB Layout of timing-critical digital circuits such as DDR3.
- Experience writing HDL for FPGAs.
- Experience working on products with radiation-tolerance requirements.
- Familiarity with qualification test campaigns including TVAC, EMI/EMC, etc.
- Previous startup or small company experience.